- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 13x9 inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Follow the directions on the cake mix to make the cake batter. Use the prepared baking pan to bake the cake according to the package instructions.
- For the icing combine the confectioners sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and milk in a large bowl. Whip with the hand mixer on medium speed until all of the ingredients are incorporated and there are no visible lumps. Note: The icing will be slightly thin.
- Slowly pour the icing over the cake starting at one end of the cake and moving your way towards the opposite end. Note: Some of the icing will drip off of the cake and land in the baking tray underneath. If all of the cake is not coated with icing use the remaining icing to cover any exposed cake.
- Transfer the iced cake onto a large serving platter. Sprinkle the desiccated coconut over the top and sides of the cake.
- To decorate the cake to look like an Australian flag start by thinly slicing the apples from top to bottom avoiding the center seeds. Sprinkle lemon juice over every piece of sliced apples to prevent the apple from browning. Use a big and small six-point star cookie cutter to cut out 1 large star and 5 small stars out of the apples. Trim one of the small stars to be slightly smaller than the rest. Slice a few thin rectangular slices out of the apple to outline the raspberries.
- Next use an Australian flag as a guide to decorate the cake with the blueberries. Start with the blueberries; try to line them up in straight lines going all the way across the cake. Next place the raspberries in the upper left hand corner to mimic the shape of a six-point star. Outline the raspberries with the rectangular pieces of apple. Finally place the apple stars on their spots on the flag.
Small and Large Six Point Star Cutters
- 1 box Yellow Cake Mix
- 4 cups Confectioners Sugar
- ½ cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup Milk
- 2 cups Desiccated Coconut or Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- 2 Granny Smith Apples
- 1 Lemon
- 3 cups Blueberries
- 1 cup Raspberries