Recipe courtesy of Chef Jay Jackson of Windows by Jamie Kennedy
Yield: 4 Servings Cooking Time: 1 Hour Difficulty: Easy Full Episode: A Taste of Niagara (Season 5)
- Peel and chop the parsnip and celeriac into 1 inch pieces, dice the onion, add all the ingredients to a pot with the vanilla bean and cover with cream.
- Cook the ingredients on low-medium heat until everything is soft and tender, careful not to let anything scorch on the bottom of the pan.
- Once cooked, remove the vanilla pod and with a slotted spoon add the ingredients to a blender, leaving the cream behind.
- Turn on the blender and slowly pour in some cream until the mixture begins to come together, add a cube or two of cold butter keeping the blender going and blend until all the butter has been incorporated and the puree is very smooth. The puree should be the consistency of vanilla pudding.
- Chop the parsley very finely, add the diced shallot, lemon zest, mustard , vinegar, salt and pepper, and mix all together. Should look like a rough herb salsa, then add a bit of the lemon juice until the mixture kind of sticks together. The taste should be very fresh with a lot of acidity.
- Clean the lamb by removing any silver skin or excess fat.
- Season the lamb with salt and pepper and sear in a hot pan for 2-3 minutes until one side is browned nicely, then place in a 500 degree oven to cook until desired temperature is reached, roughly 6 minutes for medium rare depending on the size of the lamb.
- Once out of the oven, let the lamb rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat the puree and lamb jus, place the puree on the plate, sliced the lamb in 4-5 slices and fan out across the puree, top with lamb jus and a spoonful of ravigote, if desired you can add any veg you like to the plate, we use baby carrots and green beans.
Measuring CupsFull Episode: A Taste of Niagara (Season 5)
For the puree:
- 2 medium sized Parsnips
- 1 Celeriac
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 Vanilla Bean Pod, split and seeds scraped
- 1 litre 35% Cream (or enough to cover ingredients in the pot)
- ¼ pound Butter, cold and cubed
For the ravigote:
- 1 bunch Flat Leaf Parsley
- 1 large Shallot, diced
- 1 Lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon Grainy Mustard
- 2 tablespoons Cider Vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- For the lamb:
- 1 piece Fresh Lamb Sirloin
- ¼ cup Lamb Jus