- Cooking Time:
- 25 Minutes
Serves: 5 Cups
- 3 cups Whole Milk
2 cups Evaporated Milk
1 Cinnamon Stick
2 strips Lemon Zest
8 Egg Yolks
1 cup Sugar, plus extra for caramelizing
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- Heat a large saucepot to medium high heat. Add the whole milk, evaporated milk, cinnamon stick and lemon zest. Bring the milk to a boil and then quickly lower heat to medium low. Remove the cinnamon stick and the lemon zest.
- In a large bowl whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, vanilla extract, and cornstarch.
- Once the egg is pale yellow temper the eggs and the milk by adding a total of 2 cups of milk ½ a cup at a time while constantly stirring. Once the milk has been added pour the egg and milk mixture into the pot with the remaining milk.
- Constantly whisk the mixture over medium low heat until the custard has thickened about 5-7 minutes.
- Pour the custard into small serving dishes and cool for at least 2 hours before serving.
- To serve the custard, sprinkle about 2 teaspoons of sugar evenly over the custard and use a kitchen blowtorch to caramelize the sugar. Note: Keep the flame about 2 inches away from the sugar while caramelizing.
- Measuring Cups
Kitchen Blow Torch