Recipe courtesy of Mi Tierra Café
Directions:For the Enchilada Gravy:
- Boil ancho chiles in water and rinse. Deseed and blend into a puree. Reserve 2 ounces of puree for the assembly of enchiladas.
- Sauté meat in a Dutch oven until cooked. Add water, ancho puree, and the rest of the spices. Cook for 15 minutes, then add the slurry.
- Microwave the tortillas in a moist paper towel for 30 seconds to soften them and make them pliable.
- Have a baking dish ready and spoon the finished enchilada gravy on the bottom.
- Roll cheddar cheese in the tortillas and place them in the baking dish until it’s full.
- Top the rolled enchiladas with the ancho chile puree.
- Spoon the gravy to cover the enchiladas and top with cheddar cheese, cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes.
- 1 pound Ancho Chiles
- 1 quart Water
- 5 pounds Ground Beef
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 ounce Black Pepper
- 1 ounce Cumin
- 2 ounces Garlic, minced
- Masa Harina and Water for a slurry
- 1 package Corn Tortillas
- 4 cups Cheddar Cheese