Joe’s Key Lime Pie
Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1 wax paper-wrapped package Graham Crackers (1/3 of a pound box) OR 1 cup plus 2 ½ tablespoons Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 5 tablespoons Melted Unsalted Butter
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1 ½ teaspoons Grated Zest of 2 Limes
- 1,14-ounce can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ⅔ cup Freshly Squeezed Lime Juice
- 1 cup Heavy or Whipped Cream, chilled
- 1 tablespoon Confectioners Sugar
Directions:For the graham cracker crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter a 9-inch pie pan. Break up the graham crackers; place in a food processor and process crumbs. (If you don't have a food processor, place the crackers in a large plastic bag; seal and then crush the crackers with a rolling pin.)
- Add the melted butter and sugar and pulse or stir until combined.
- Press the mixture into the bottom and sides of the pie pan, forming a neat border around the edge.
- Bake the crust until set and golden, 8 minutes. Set aside on a wire rack; leave the oven on.
- Meanwhile, in an electric mixer with the wire whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks and lime zest at high speed until very fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the condensed milk and continue to beat until thick, 3 or 4 minutes longer.
- Lower the mixer speed and slowly add the lime juice, mixing just until combined, no longer. Pour the mixture into the crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the filling has just set. Cool on a wire rack, then refrigerate. Freeze for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
- Whip the cream and the confectioners' sugar until nearly stiff.
- Cut the pie in wedges and serve very cold, topping each wedge with a large dollop of whipped cream.
- 9-Inch Pie Pan
- Food Processor or
- Rolling Pin
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Mixing Bowls
- Rubber Spatula
- Electric Mixer
- Wire Rack