Rhubarb Jelly with Chocolate & Maple
- 2 pounds Fresh Field-Grown Rhubarb
- ¼ cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 5 Gelatin Sheets, soaked in cold water to soften
- 3 ½ ounces 70% Dark Chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 7 tablespoons Whipping Cream
- ½ cup Maple Syrup
- ¼ cup Whipping Cream
- 3 tablespoons Fresh Rhubarb, cut into julienne, held in cold water so it curls
- Fresh Mint Sprigs
- Granulated Maple Sugar, for sprinkling
- To make the rhubarb jelly, cut the rhubarb into small pieces and place in a nonreactive pot.
- Add the sugar and the water.
- Cover and slowly bring to the boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer until the rhubarb is very soft, 15 to 20 minutes
- Drain rhubarb in a fine-mesh strainer set over a bowl for at least 3 hours to obtain the maximum about of juice.
- Meanwhile, make the chocolate ganache. Place the broken chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Bring the cream to a boil and pour it over the chocolate.
- Stir with a whisk until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Evenly divide the ganache among 6 large martini glasses. Place them in the refrigerator to set, about an hour.
- To finish the rhubarb jelly, place 2 ½ cups of the rhubarb juice in a nonreactive saucepan. Slowly warm the juice until very hot but not boiling. Squeeze the gelatin sheets in your hands to remove excess water, then add to the warm rhubarb juice. Stir until gelatin is dissolved. Pour the jelly evenly over the ganache. Return the glasses to the refrigerator to set, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the maple cream. Simmer the maple syrup until reduced to ¼ cup. Cool to room temperature.
- Whip the cream until stiff. Fold in the reduced maple syrup. Top each glass with a thick layer of maple cream. Scrape a palette knife across the top of the glasses to smooth the cream. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Garnish each glass with a little pile of rhubarb julienne, a mint sprig and a sprinkling of maple sugar. Serve.
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Nonreactive Pot
- Nonreactive Saucepan
- Fine Mesh Strainer
- 6 Martini Glasses
- Palette Knife