- Cooking Time:
- 45 minutes
- 3 or 4 Country-style pork ribs
Pig’s knuckles (option)
1 Onion, chopped
1 package Frozen posole or dried posole soaked overnight and rinsed
2 cups Homemade chicken broth or water
2 Garlic cloves, halved
Fresh or dried oregano, to taste
Herb salt, to taste
Shredded green cabbage, optional garnish
- Heat a large soup kettle.
- Brown the ribs and pig’s knuckles in their own fat, or use 1 extra tablespoon of oil if the ribs are quite lean. While the meat is browning, add the onions and oil. Sauté the onions for about 5 minutes.
- Add the posole, then add enough water (some chicken broth can be added for richer flavor) to cover the posole with 1 inch of liquid.
- Add the garlic and a pinch of oregano.
- Bring the posole to a low simmer and cook 3-4 hours, or until the posole is very tender.
- Add herb salt to taste.
- Measuring cups
Soup kettle or Dutch Oven