Roasted Chicken with Crispy Garlic
- ¾ cup Canola Oil
- 4 heads Garlic
- 1 (5-6 pound) Roasting Chicken
- 1 bunch Rosemary
- 1 bunch Thyme
- 1 bunch Chives, finely chopped
- 2 Lemons, sliced
- Kosher Salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Peel garlic cloves and leave whole.
- Put canola oil and garlic in small saucepan (Tip: Do not heat the oil before adding the garlic this will allow the garlic to slowly cook and not burn). Fry garlic in the oil while continuously stirring until golden brown. Place crispy garlic on paper towels to remove excess oil. Strain the garlic oil with a fine mesh strainer.
- Remove chicken from packaging and dry with paper towels. Use a sharp knife to carefully remove the spine and the wing tips. Once the spine is removed turn the chicken breast side up and firmly press to flatten whole chicken.
- Use paper towels to once again dry chicken skin. Season both the inside and outside with salt.
- Place rosemary, thyme and lemon slices in a pile on the center of the prepared baking sheet. Place the seasoned chicken breast side up on top of the herbs and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes or until the juices run clear. Baste the chicken every 10-15 minutes with the reserved garlic oil while cooking.
- Allow chicken to rest for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Garnish chicken with the crispy garlic and chives. Serve with roasted vegetables or a simple salad. Enjoy!
- Measuring Cups
- Baking Sheet
- Small Sauce Pan