Celebrate National Eat Your Vegetables Day with our Twice as Good Vegetarian Galette!
Yield: 8 Slices Cooking Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes Difficulty: Easy
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pour the melted coconut oil on the lined baking sheet and freeze for 20-25 minutes.
- To make the crust, mix the all-purpose flour, garbanzo bean flour, flax meal, turmeric, salt and sugar in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse for 5 seconds until everything is combined. Next break apart the frozen coconut oil and add to the processor. Pulse until the coconut oil is finely chopped. Slowly add the water to the flour and pulse until the mixture binds together like pie crust. Mixture will still be slightly crumbly.
- Pour mixture onto a sheet of parchment paper and use your hands to combine into a small disc. Wrap the pastry in the parchment and chill for at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the filling for the galette. Heat a medium sized sauté pan to a moderate heat. Add the coconut oil, leeks and mushrooms. Cook until they have softened. Add the garlic cook for an additional 3 minutes and then add the spinach and slightly wilt. Season with salt and pepper and let cool.
- Roll the pastry dough out into a 12-inch round circle.
- Spread the goat cheese on the base of the pastry leaving 1 inch from the edge of the pastry to fold over. Next spread the spinach mixture. Last shingle the zucchini and squash around the edge.
- Fold the exposed edge of the dough over the vegetables to form a very rustic crust. Preheat oven to 375°. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Transfer the galette to the baking sheet. Brush the edge of the crust with the beaten egg and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Enjoy!
- ½ cup Coconut Oil, melted
- 1 cup All-Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Garbanzo Bean Flour
- ¼ cup Flax Seed Meal
- 2 teaspoons Turmeric Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Sugar
- 4-7 tablespoons Ice Water
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 Leek Bottom (only the white part), washed and julienned
- 1 cup Baby Portabella Mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups Spinach, pre-washed
- 4 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1Large Zucchini, sliced thin
- 1 Large Summer Squash or Yellow Squash, sliced thin
- ½ cup Goat Cheese
- Salt and Pepper