March 14 is National Pi Day! Try our Twice as Good Cherry Pi to celebrate!
- Pour the flour, butter, salt, and sugar into a food processor. Pulse the ingredients until the mixture resembles wet sand. While the food processor is running slowly add the water until a ball of dough is formed. Do not over mix.
- Remove dough from the food processor. Separate into two equal portions and flatten slightly to form a disk. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- To make the pie filling: Add all of the ingredients into a medium sauce pan. Cook over medium low heat while frequently stirring for about 10-15 minutes. Cool Slightly.
- To assemble the pie: Use a rolling pin to roll the dough portions into two 10-12 inch circles.
- Place one half of the dough into a 9 inch pie pan. Push down the pie dough to fit it into the pan with about 1 inch overlapping the rim of the pie pan.
- Pour the cooled cherry filling into the pie.
- Top the pie with the remaining dough and tuck the overlapping pie dough under the bottom crust layer to seal in the filling. Use your finger tips or a fork to crimp all of the edges. Cut decorative slits with a sharp knife into the top pie crust in order for steam to escape. Place the whole pie in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake the pie for 20-25 minutes rotating the pie halfway through the cooking process.
- Enjoy warm with vanilla ice cream!
9 inch Pie Pan
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup Cold Butter, cubed
- 1 pinch Kosher Salt
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons Cold Water
- 5 cups Fresh Cherries Pitted or Thawed Frozen Cherries
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- 1 cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Water
- ¼ cup Fresh Orange Juice