Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with our Twice as Good Rainbow Cake!
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray and line each with a parchment paper round.
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. In a separate bowl mix the sugar, eggs, oil, milk, water, yogurt and lemon extract. Add all of the wet ingredients to the dry and mix.
- Separate the batter evenly into six bowls. Color each of the batters with the gel food colors. Red, orange (yellow + red), yellow, green (yellow + blue), blue, and violet (blue + red).
- Bake the layers in the prepared pans one color at a time for 10-15 minutes or until the cake separates from the edges of the pan and a toothpick is dry once inserted into the center of the cake. Wash, dry and spray the cake pans between baking each layer.
- Cool the cakes completely on cooling racks.
- Trim the round tops off of each cake with a serrated knife.
- Carefully stack all the layers of the cake with about ¼ cup of icing between each layer. Place a thin layer of buttercream icing around the whole cake and chill for at least 30 minutes. After the buttercream is set add a final layer of buttercream around the whole cake. Decorate with crumbs or sprinkles. Enjoy!
Two 8 Inch Baking Pans
- 4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoons Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Sugar
- 4 Whole eggs
- ½ cup Canola Oil or Coconut Oil
- 1 ½ cups Milk
- 1 cup Water
- ½ cup Yogurt
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Extract (optional)
- Assorted Gel Food Colors
- 4-6 cups Your Favorite Buttercream Icing