1 Hour 30 Minutes
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Fit a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment. In the bowl of the stand mixer combine the yeast, warm water and sugar. Allow to sit for 3-5 minutes to activate the yeast. Once the yeast is frothy add the salt and butter. Add 3 cups of flour 1 cup at a time, if the dough feels too sticky slowly add a tablespoon of the remaining flour at a time until the dough is no longer sticky and begins to pull away from the bowl to form a ball.
- At this stage your dough is ready to kneed. Continue to use the dough hook to need the dough until it is soft, approximately 5-8 minutes .
- Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl and cover. Allow to proof for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 475°F.
- Pour all the ingredients for the boiling solution into a medium sauce pot and boil until the baking soda is dissolved. Reduce to a low simmer.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and roll into a log. Cut the log into 12 equal portions. Roll each of the portions into a long rope about 12-14 inches. Twist the ropes into a pretzel shape and firmly press the crossed over dough.
- Carefully place the pretzels into the boiling solution one at a time for about 10 seconds each. Remove them with a flat spatula and place them on the baking sheets. Reshape the pretzels if necessary.
- Brush the pretzels with the beaten egg and top with salt or sesame seeds or both. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack. Serve with mustard or caramel. Enjoy!
Stand Mixer with Dough Hook
- 1 packet Active Dry Yeast
- 1 ¼ cup Warm Water
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ¼ cup Melted Unsalted Butter
- 3-4 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 4 cups Water
- ¼ teaspoon Sugar
- 4 tablespoons Baking Soda
- 1 Beaten Egg
- 2 tablespoons Course Salt
- 2 tablespoons Sesame Seeds
- Whole Grain Mustard