1 Hour 30 Minutes
- Add the rice and water to a medium sauce pot and bring to a boil, cover reduce heat to a medium low and simmer for 18-20 minutes. Let stand covered for 10 minutes. Transfer the cooked rice to a wooden or plastic boil.
- Mix the vinegar, sugar and salt together, stir until all of the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the rice and gently fold the rice with a wooden spoon. Cover rice with a damp washcloth and keep at room temperature until ready to use. (Can be made a few hours ahead of time)
- Wrap a bamboo sushi mat in plastic wrap.
- Place a sheet of nori smooth side up onto the mat. With clean moist hands evenly press ¾ cup of rice over the nori leaving ¼ of the nori exposed on the top. (Keep a bowl of clean water next to the rice to dip your finger tips as you prepare the sushi)
- Place a few of each prepared veggies at the top of the rice. Using the bamboo mat roll the rice away from you half way and firmly compress the roll lift the mat again and roll the remaining rice to meet the exposed nori, slightly wet the tip of the nori for a better seal. Compress the entire roll one last time to make a perfect cylinder.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the roll into 8 equal pieces. Repeat steps 5 and 6 until you have used all your ingredients. Serve with soy sauce, pickled ginger, and prepared wasabi. Enjoy!
Medium Sauce Pot
Bamboo Sushi Mat
Bowl of Water
- 3 cups Sushi Rice, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups Water
- 3 tablespoons Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 8 sheets Nori
- 1 small Avocado, seeded and julienned
- 1 Cumber, seeded and julienned
- 1 Red pepper, seeded and julienned
- 2 Carrots, peeled and julienned
- 8 Green Onion Tops
- Soy sauce, pickled ginger and prepared wasabi for serving (optional)