Celebrate National Gluten Free Day with our Twice as Good Breakfast Tacos!
- Combine corn masa, water, and oil in bowl. Mix masa with sturdy wooden spoon until water has been absorbed. Masa dough should hold together to form a ball. If it crumbles, slowly add more water. Cover and rest for 5 minutes.
- Heat large cast iron skillet to medium heat.
- Use tortilla press or rolling pin to form 6-inch tortillas. Tortilla press method: take about 2 tablespoons of masa and form into ball. Line both top and bottom of tortilla press with wax paper. Sandwich ball in center of tortilla press. Close press and apply pressure on lever to form flat tortilla. Rolling pin method: sandwich 2-tablespoon ball of masa between two pieces of wax paper. Use rolling pin to spread masa into 6-inch round tortilla.
- Once tortilla has been formed, immediately transfer to preheated skillet. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Repeat steps 3-4 until all masa has been used.
- In separate pan, sauté bell peppers and spinach until tender. Remove vegetables and set aside. Heat same pan to medium temperature. Whisk eggs. Add 1-2 tablespoons of oil followed by eggs. Stir frequently to avoid any sticking.
- Heat refried beans in small pot or microwave.
- Assemble tacos by spreading a tablespoon of the refried beans on a warm tortilla. Next top with sautéed vegetables and scrambled eggs. Garnish with jalapeño slice and tomatillo salsa. Enjoy!
Tortilla Press/Rolling Pin
- 2 cups Blue Corn Masa
- ½ cups Warm Water
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- 1 cup Refried Black Beans
- 1 cup Sweet Bell Pepper, chopped
- 3 cups Spinach
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Jalapeño, sliced
- 1 cup Tomatillo Salsa