Recipe courtesy of Chef Michael of Eagle’s Nest Resort
Traditional New Zealand Pavlova
1 Hour 30 Minutes
- Heat the oven to 180°C (not fanbake). Line a baking tray with baking paper and mark a circle about 16cm diameter with a plate.
- Place the egg whites into the clean bowl of an electric mixer. Add the salt and beat until stiff. Slowly add the sugar with the beater running. Beat for about 10 minutes at high speed until the meringue is thick and glossy – it should be thick enough not to fall from the beater.
- Whisk in the cornflour and vinegar.
- Use a big spoon to drop dollops of meringue into the circled area of baking paper. Form into a circle of meringue, making swirls with the spoon on the top rather than flattening to a neat tidy disc.
- Bake at 180° C for 5 minutes then reduce oven temperature to 130° C and cook a further hour. Turn off oven and leave pavlova to cool in the oven.
- Pavlova can be cooked a couple of days ahead and stored in an airtight container, or frozen.
- To serve, whip cream & place on cooled pavlova, scatter over mixed berries.
- 6 eggs Whites, at room temperature
- Pinch of Salt
- 1½ cups Caster Sugar
- 2 tsp Cornflour
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- 500 mls Thick Cream
- 3 punnets Fresh Mixed Berries, (raspberries, blueberries and hulled and halved strawberries)