Recipe Courtesy of Cliff House Restaurant
Bacon Crusted Scottish Salmon
Directions:Bacon Crusted Scottish Salmon:
- Roughly chop the bacon and finish processing in the food processer until a paste is formed.
- Spread bacon paste on the flesh side of salmon. Set aside.
- Separate the chard leaves from the stems. (see Vegetable Pickling Brine recipe)
- Chop the chard leaves in large pieces. Blanch quickly in salted water. Set aside.
- In a sauté pan, brown the salmon bacon side down. Cook until the crust starts to turn brown. Flip over in pan and continue cooking in the oven set at 350 degrees for approximately 6 minutes to finish.
- In a separate sauté pan add 1 tablespoon of whole butter and sweat the shallots until caramelized color.
- Add white wine and splash of vinegar. Cook down until almost dry.
- Add cream and reduce to desired sauce consistency, add remaining butter swirling constantly.
- When butter has created a sauce, add 2 tablespoons Dijon country mustard, lemon juice and zest. Mix well, remove from heat.
- To assemble finished dish place whatever starch you choose, mashed potatoes, roasted Yukon potatoes etc. in the center of the plate.
- Place the cooked chard on top. Put cooked salmon on top of chard.
- Garnish with a mix of the leaf tops, some picked parsley and julienne of apples which has had extra virgin olive oil drizzled on top.
- Arrange the mustard sauce in a circle around the salmon. Serve at once.
- Bring all ingredients to a boil in a small pot. Let simmer 2-3 minutes. Strain hot liquid directly over vegetables to be pickled. Serve immediately for hot dishes, refrigerate for cold dishes. Add sliced green apple for contrasting flavor.
Bacon Crusted Scottish Salmon:
- 6 each 6oz Salmon filet with skin on
- 12 each Bacon Slices
- 1 Bunch Rainbow chard
- 3 Each Shallots
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 4 ounces White Wine
- Splash Champagne Vinegar
- Splash Fresh Lemon Juice
- ½ Cup Cream
- Celery Leaves for garnish
- Parsley Leaves for garnish
- Julienned Apples for garnish
Vegetable Pickling Brine:
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup White Wine Vinegar
- ½ cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Salt
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seed
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seed
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Seed
- 1 sprig Fresh Thyme
- Orange Peel, from ½ orange
- 2 cloves Fresh Garlic, bruised