- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Rub in the butter and mix until pliable.
- Mix this with the egg and water (adding the water a little at a time).
- Work the dough well. If the dough appears to be lumpy and sticky, continue to work the dough until it will ball up.
- Let the dough rest at room temperature for about three hours (under an inverted mixing bowl).
- Prepare the syrup a day before (it needs to be very cold).
- Dissolve sugar in the water.
- Add the spices and lemon juice to this and boil together. Leave the syrup cool in the fridge overnight.
- Roll out the dough (thickness 5mm).
- Cut the dough into strips of 6cm long, 2cm wide.
- Cut each of these strips into three strips (not all the way through, leave the strips connected at the top).
- Plat each strip, pinch together at the end of the strip.
- Deep fry until golden brown.
- Remove and drain quickly – dip the hot koeksisters in the cold syrup (that was stored in the fridge up to now).
- The secret is to keep the syrup cold and the koeksisters hot, this way it will draw just the right amount of syrup.
- You can keep the syrup cold by keeping the syrup bowl in another container filled with iced water.
- 2 cups Cake Flour
- 2 tablespoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 large Egg
- 4 tablespoon Butter/Margarine
- ½ cup Water
- Oil for Frying
- 1kg Sugar
- 1 ½ Cinnamon Sticks
- ½ teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 ½ cups Water
- 1 Lemon, juiced