Try our Twice as Good Vanilla Pudding Icebox Cake to celebrate National Vanilla Pudding day on May 22nd!
Vanilla Pudding Icebox Cake
- Line 9-inch round spring form cake pan with plastic wrap. Set aside.
- Combine egg yolks, sugar, and corn starch in bowl.
- Heat milk in medium-sized sauce pot until steaming.
- Temper eggs by adding ¼ cup of milk at a time while constantly mixing. After half of the milk is combined with eggs, return milk/egg mixture to pot. Slowly stir mixture until it begins to thicken. Pudding will be cooked when it can coat the back of a spoon.
- Once pudding is thick, add butter, vanilla paste, and salt.
- Transfer pudding to glass storage container and lightly cover with plastic wrap. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Whip heavy cream to stiff peaks using hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with whip attachment. Keep cold.
- Next, slice premade angel food cake into 20 even slices. Press half the slices in the bottom of prepared cake pan. Gently press cake down to make an even layer breaking a few of the slices in half to cover the gaps if necessary.
- Once pudding has cooled gently fold in ¾ of the whipped cream.
- To assemble, spoon half of the pudding over cake layer. Next add blueberries and sliced banana. Add remaining cake slices again filling in gaps. Top with remaining vanilla pudding. Finally, top with reserved whipped cream.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours. Once cake has set, remove spring form pan and the plastic wrap. Transfer to a serving plate. Slice and enjoy!
*Instead of making your own pudding, you can use two 3.4 ounce packages of Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix. After completing step 1, follow instructions on package to make pudding using only half of the milk hen return to step 6 of recipe.
9-Inch Spring Form
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 1 cup Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 cups Milk
- 2 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Paste or Vanilla Extract
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1Premade Angel Food Cake
- 2 Bananas, sliced
- 1 cup Blueberries