Yield: 4 Cooking Time: 3-4 Hours Difficulty: Medium
Directions:To cook the beets:
- Find a pan that will fit the amount of beets you have in a single layer. Making a mixture of 1:1:1 Sherry, Water, and Distilled Vinegar add to the pan until it reaches half way up the beets.
- Liberally season with salt and sugar.
- Add a halved orange and 3-6 bay leaves. Cover pan with foil and cook in a 350 oven for 2-3 hours depending on the size of the beets.
- A knife or cake tester should slide smoothly through the largest beet. Peel while warm, then allow to cool.
- Utilizing Onion scraps or leek tops, roast over aluminum foil in a 400-degree oven for 1-2 hours or until mostly black. Allow to cool. Crush small amounts in a blender to a fine powder.
- Whisk together Maple Syrup and Rompo vinegar. Slowly whisk in oil.
- Toss cooled beets in vinaigrette. Garnish with pea shoots, fresh beets, pecans, and chevre.
- Using a fine strainer, sprinkle vegetable ash over the top.
- Cooked Beets
- ¼ Cup Vegetable Oil
- ¼ Cup Rompo (or Malt) vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Maple Syrup
- Toasted Pecans
- Pea Shoots
- Vegetable Ash