Yield: 6 Ingredients Cooking Time: 26 Minutes Difficulty: Medium Full Episode: A Taste of Maine (Season 4)
- Combine blueberries and lemon juice in a large saucepan and set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon and blend well. Pour sugar mixture over blueberries and stir well.
- Place saucepan over medium high heat and bring berry mixture to a simmer. Continue cooking, constantly stirring until mixture thickens to make a compote. Remove from heat and set aside to let cool completely.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cut in lard until mixture resembles crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the water, egg substitute, and vinegar. Pour into the crumb mixture and stir until dough is thoroughly moistened and forms a ball.
- Divide dough ball into two equal portions. Flour rolling pin and surface and roll dough out until it is a 1⁄2 inch wider on all sides than the inverted pie plate.
- Once blueberry compote is cooled, form pie crust into pie plate and fill with compote. Fold over any extra pie dough onto itself along the edge of the pie plate. Center top crust over filled pie and tuck edges in between pie plate and bottom crust. Flute edges and cut slits in center of top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in preheated oven at 425 degrees for 16 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees and bake for additional 10 minutes.
Measuring CupsFull Episode: A Taste of Maine (Season 4)
- 6 cups Wild Blueberries
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- ½ cup Cornstarch
- 2/3 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ plus 2/3 cup Lard (cold)
- ¼ cup Cold Water
- ¼ cup Egg Substitute
- 1 ½ teaspoons Distilled White Vinegar