Yield: 8-10 Portions Cooking Time: 45 Minutes Difficulty: Easy Full Episode: Jetting to Japan (Season 4)
- To make the dashi broth, place the water and kombu in a large pot. Heat the pot to medium high and allow the kombu to soak in the water. Right before the water starts to boil remove the kombu and turn off the heat.
- Next add the bonito flakes and allow them to soak in the hot water for 10 minutes. Strain the bonito through a strainer lined with fine cheesecloth. Discard the bonito and reserve the dashi broth.
- Pour the dashi broth back into the large pot over medium heat.
- Place the miso paste into a bowl and add ½ cup of the dashi broth, mix until all of the lumps are smooth, add to the broth and mix well. Cook for 5 minutes
- Add the firm tofu, dried wakame, and shimeji mushrooms to the pot and heat on medium low for 10 minutes, do not simmer.
- Serve in small bowls and garnish with scallions.
Measuring CupsFull Episode: Jetting to Japan (Season 4)
- 8 cups Water
- 1 large piece Kombu (dried seaweed)
- 3 cups Bonito Flakes
- 4 tablespoons White Miso Paste
- 1 cup Firm Tofu, cubed
- ¼ cup Dried Wakame
- 1 cup Shimeji Mushroom
- 3 Scallions, sliced